Note: the application for 2015-16 WSRP Research Associates has closed. Check back in summer 2015 for the 2016-17 application.
Each year Harvard Divinity School selects five candidates for full-time Research Associate and Visiting Faculty positions in its Women's Studies in Religion Program. Proposals for book-length research projects using both religion and gender as central categories of analysis are welcomed. They may address women and religion in any time, place, or religious tradition, and may utilize disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches from across the fields of theology, the humanities, and the social sciences.
Research Associates are required to be in full-time residence at Harvard Divinity School while carrying out their proposed research projects during the academic year. Associates meet together regularly for collective discussion of research in progress. Each associate teaches a one-semester course related to the research project, and the associates present their research in a public lecture series and at an annual conference.
Positions are open to candidates with doctorates in the fields of religion and to those with primary competence in other humanities, social science, and public policy fields who demonstrate a serious interest in religion and hold appropriate degrees in those fields. Selection criteria emphasize the quality of the applicant's research prospectus, outlining objectives and methods; its fit with the Program's research priorities; the significance of the contribution of the proposed research to the study of religion, gender, and to its field; and an agreement to produce a publishable piece of work. Applicants must have received their PhD by October 1 of the year preceding (for example, October 1, 2014 for the 2015-16 academic year). Applications from those whose degrees have not yet been awarded will not be considered.
Salary for 2015-16 is $55,000. The appointment is full-time, lasting ten months, and includes health benefits and reimbursement of some expenses.
Before beginning your application, unless you have an active Harvard University ID (HUID), you must create a log-on ID and password using the Harvard University XID system. The steps are as follows:
- On the XID website, follow all links for "New XID Account." You will be prompted to enter and confirm your email address, your full name, and a login ID. You have the option to make your email address your login ID; this is recommended.
- Once you have registered, you will receive an email with your login ID, a temporary secret key, and instructions for verifying your account.
- When you have finished the verification process and have chosen a new password, please return to the WSRP online application and log in. Be sure to choose the appropriate login type. Please note that you will not be redirected from the XID site to the WSRP application page. You will need to return to this page to begin your application.
Note: Applicants with an active Harvard University ID (HUID) do not need to complete the XID process.
Within the online application, the following documents are required and must be uploaded in Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, or .txt format:
- A description of your proposed research project, not to exceed 1,250 words;
- The title and description of a women's studies course related to your project, not to exceed one page;
- A description of your background in women's studies, not to exceed 750 words;
- Curriculum vitae, not to exceed 10 pages;
- Writing sample, either a chapter or article, in electronic format.
Two letters of recommendation are also required.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY OCTOBER 15, 2014. Announcement of WSRP Research Associate appointments for 2015-16 will be made in March 2015. If you are unable to access or fill out the online application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617.495.5705.
To get an idea of what the online application form looks like before creating an XID and logging on, you may view the following form in PDF format. This form is for viewing ONLY and not for submission. Please note that while the majority of the fields in the sample will remain constant, the fields, wording of the form, and order are subject to change.
You will need Adobe Reader or another PDF reader to open the file. If you do not have Adobe Reader, you may download it free from the Adobe website.